To protect and promote good health for the public benefit among people with mental illness or intellectual disability, in particular but not exclusively people from BME communities, by:
- a) advancing education in mental health and intellectual disability and undertaking training and promoting research, the useful results of which will be published.
- b) working with statutory bodies, healthcare professionals and other organisations to assist in the improvement of mental healthcare provision.
In order to meet our Objects we aim:
- To promote education and research in psychiatry in the UK, for the improvement of mental health services.
- To organise conferences and workshops both for members and the wider public.
- To organise education and research events with other mental health organisations in UK and Indian Psychiatric Society and other psychiatric organisations in India.
- To raise awareness of relevant events organised by other organisations.
- To bring to the attention of practitioners relevant publications and scholarly articles to help them keep up to date with current thinking.
- To establish funds and awards to promote the cause of mental health in this country through research and supporting young practitioners in attending conferences.
- To work collaboratively with similar organisations both in the UK and in India.
- To work with organisations such as the Royal College of Psychiatrists to recognise the training needs of practitioners from ethnic minority backgrounds who may deal with patients from similar backgrounds.
- To work with Mental Health providers and Mental Health charities to improve access to raise awareness and support for patients.